Monday

Animation in Uganda


One of the Most Complicated and Painstaking Visual Arts is 3D Animation, a Twin Sister to CGI used in Movies. Before the Turn of the Millenium (2000), many Ugandans, such as US based Solomon Jagwe (Soreel Graphix); UK taught Yunus Sebyala (X-Toons Animations); Richard Musinguzi (nicknamed the "Walt Disney of Uganda"); Isaac Oboth (C.E.O. of Media256 and Winner of the Young Achievers Award in the Film and Technology Category 2011); Swansea Metropolitan (now University of Wales Trinity Saint David) graduate David Masanso (Crossroads Digital Media); Andrew Cara, my Old Boy from Upper Primary (1995 to 6, who uses the avatar AndrooPCP on YouTube - I admire the Levels of Skeletal Rigging he has reached); the versatile and incredibly undisputed Maurice Kaweekwa (nicknamed Wekwes, signs his Oil Paintings as MKaweekwa); the alchemic Agwau Otim (Oparaah); New Vision Cartoonist Kato Richard; self taught Phizy Pwoch (I learnt from him that "Better Work is the ultimate Strategy"); Sidney Sengooba (of Brand Media Uganda) and females like Sarah Alego, Catherine (Kathryn) Mirembe plus others (even though not listed) had started experimenting with 3D Animation and Motion Graphics. A Journey of a thousand Miles always starts with one Step. Even the Longest River starts from a Source. Like South African Freedom Fighter Nelson Mandela once said, "It seems impossible until it's done..."
Animator David Masanso during the first annual Crossroads Animation Days on Thursday 13th (to Saturday 15th) December 2012 at Uganda Museum (Kampala)

A new Dawn and Era has come for 3D-CG in UG; I call it Uganimation. Check out the animated Squirrels drumming to a Nandujja Song courtesy of Crossroads Digital Multimedia Ltd! Another good Animation is the Uganda at 50 Years Montage plus the realistically rendered Imitate Video featuring a Hat-seller waking up to ride his Bicycle to the Market. On the Way, he battles with Monkeys. This Video won the inaugural 2013 UCC (Uganda Communications Commission) Film Festival Award for Best Animation. David recommends that encouraging young Ugandans to take up the Art Form early can sustain the Industry. Following this Success, his Company (Crossroads) is working with a UK Organisation to build a 3D Computer Animation Incubation Centre and Studio. This will empower Ugandans with Skills to compete for outsourced Work and animate African Stories. Also, in a Programme that supports Entrepreneurship in developing Countries, David was chosen to work with the Chief of Entrepreneurship at the United Nations.

Ugandan Broadcasters, most notably the veteran UTV (now UBC), ballistic BTN (in Arua), hot NTV, very modern Urban TV and Pastor Robert Kayanja's sumptuous Channel 44, etc wonderfully expose Youngsters to Animation by running Cartoon Programmes, despite mainly foreign ones. Nevertheless, the End justifies the Means! By 2011, the Animation Industry in the Pearl of Africa was regarded as "young but growing fast" and it will never die despite the Challenges. I remember in the 1990s, there was a Privatisation Campaign brilliantly animated for TV. I wonder where it was done! One of the major Challenges in UG though is Production Capital, not only monetary but also technological Skills. If upcoming Animators and enthusiastic 3D Artists keep trying new Tricks, more improved Work can be produced. Learn from the Best! Tra-Digital Animation is also recommended by Experts. It blends both the old and new, traditional hand-drawn and digital like in The Princess and the Frog (Disney Animation). TDA takes the Best of Both Worlds and explores new Possibilities in Storytelling. We should never think that the Medium alone, in this case 3D Animation produced using 3ds max, Maya, Mental Ray, Blender, Vue 7, Poser, ZBrush or LightWave (used to make 300, Iron Man and Finding Nemo) tells the Story. TDA is also a great Supplement, and so is Google SketchUp Pro used to design Google Earth Maps.

In 2010, Makerere University Kampala and Digimation UK entered a Partnership to conduct Digital Animation Courses in the well facilitated Faculty of Computing and I.T. Meanwhile, Artfield Institute was also founded (in Naguru near Kembabazi Catering) to offer Courses in 3D Animation and Graphic Design.

Some notable Animations featuring UG Themes include the robotic Sadolin Paint Tinman walking on a Street and into a colourfully interior-decorated Home; the MTN "Yori Yori" Caller Tunez TV Commercial (by Phantom in Nsambya), is it really from RSA?; the Superman-like Warid Pesaman (now Airtel's Mr. Money after the Merger - "You smell..."); Daily Monitor (Independent Journalism) at 20 Years (1992-2012 and beyond); “A violence-free Childhood is everyone’s Right!’’ goes a TV ad starring Froggie, the amusing cartoon Mascot used by Raising Voices, a local Women and Children’s Rights NGO in its Multimedia Campaigns that also feature real life Ugandan Celebs like Sarah Short. Froggie reminds me of some hilarious Frog from way back during RS Elvis’ Variety Show (Ekitobeero A la Carte) where after signing out with his trademark “Cut!” Phrase, the Frog objects, “Wama, don’t cut!” and goes on to say or do something to crack your Rib; Meditex (Kabode) Soap; WBS Television's Superbrands 2013/ 14 Celebratory Dance by a tall beautiful female Character dressed in a yellow Blouse (if outside is shiverishly cold, then stay indoors to watch this hot Animation topped up with a Nigerian Music Score or the Nkoza & Nankya TV Series; Animated Snippets mixed with realtime Video Footage of Youth in "Lwaki (Why?)" by EYEZEE OMUWANDUZI ft. SANDSOUL; the Animated Music Video (AMV) for "You Want Another Rap" by the Most Excellent Rapper SEVO (Uganda's President) produced by Yunus and his Crew that included (NTV) Mini Buzz Cartoonist Jimelux Tashobya; the Twenty23 Parish Development Model (PDM) Sensitization commercial; a Music Video combining human footage with animations entitled "Uganda Yange" by Sweden-based GEROCK; Galiwango: Obulamu Bwe'Kisodde/ The Life of a Gorilla (Luganda Animated Film) by Solomon Jagwe and many more Creations. In a black and white World, true Colours show: I bet the AMV for "Power" by GNL ZAMBA is one of the Most Amazing around here, a Kino Musoke Picture presented by Dragonfly Media Studio 80z. Other notable Animation Studios in UG include Fruity Media, Image Now, DFH Uganda (Multimedia), Bumba Studio, etc.

To become an Animator, you need Knowledge about Skeletons, i.e. Bones, Joints and their Positions; it is actually Skin-deep. That is when you realise that the compulsory Science (Primary 4) and Biology Lessons are very important. I remember during O’Level, there was a real Human Skeleton wired to stand upright near the Entrance to the Biology Lab. Whenever we walked in, we would crack Jokes with the Skeleton Man. Now I know he was truly a V-VIP in the Lab! Lazarus, come forth! A Character Rig is the Digital Skeleton created by Animators inside a 3D Mesh. Like a real Skeleton, a Rig is made up of simple or complex Joints and Bones, each of which act as a "Handle" that Animators use to bend the Character into desired Poses like Prophet Ezekiel (Zul-Kifl) in the Valley of dry Bones (Ezekiel 37). Joints are assembled exactly where they would be in a Real World Skeleton, with one or two Exceptions. In the final Clip, the Pseudo-skeletons disappear. Allow me to drift away, the Quran records incredible Stories of talking Animals, for example: Ants have marvellous Communication Skills at Ground Level (Quran 27:18-19 [The Ants]) plus King Solomon knew the Speech of Birds (Quran 27:16-17), a Hoopoe spoke to him (Quran 27:20-28) just like a Donkey spoke to Balaam in the Bible (Numbers 22:28). A Serpent spoke to Eve while a Burning Bush ordered Moses to take off his Sandals because he was standing on holy Ground. How did all the different Animals enter Noah's Ark (Safina Nuh) in Pairs? Maybe GOD talked to them. Jesus told the Pharisees in Luke 19:40 that even if they made His Disciples keep quiet, the Stones will cry out rejoicing and praising GOD with a loud Voice. According to the Book of Jubilees (Lesser Genesis), Hebrew is the Language of Heaven and was originally spoken by all Creatures in the Garden of Eden. However, the Animals lost their Power of Speech when Adam and Eve were expelled. So Animation is also based on Reality, not just Fantasy. Besides, Parrots can speak sensibly to Humans. About Superpowers or Superhuman Abilities, well: Enoch went to Heaven alive - GOD took him; Moses parted the Red Sea; Joshua marched with the Israelites carrying the Ark of the LORD while seven Priests blew seven Ram-horn Trumpets for seven Days (once for each of the first six Days but seven Times on the seventh Day) until the Walls of Jericho fell though Rahab - the harlot and her Household were saved; Elijah ran faster than a Horse; Samson tore a Lion's Mouth; Solomon enslaved Demons; Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego couldn't be burnt in a fiery Furnace; Mary gave birth without a Man; JESUS walked on Water and did many other amazing Things; Fingers of a human Hand wrote on the Wall of a Palace; etc.

Uganda harbours many Fine Artists and Comics Cartoonists like the incredibly gifted Loukman Ali, my OB Christian Mafigiri, Derrick Dre (PassionateArt UG), Colourist Brian Amanya, Daily Monitor (Newspaper) Cartoonists Mozeh and Chris Ogon Atukwasize, etc who can metamorphose into Animators if they choose. If you want more Fun, then just mark your Calender for IAD (International Animation Day on 28th October, about three Weeks before World Television Day on 21st November) every Year plus check out - http://www.ugandacartoonnetwork.com/

Personally, as the Walt Disney Company's Paperman (Best Animated Short Film at the 2013 Oscars) wonderfully portrays using the (Final Line Advection) Meander Program developed by Brian Whited, I think one Tool that will enhance Drawn Animation is hybrid Software that takes 3D Technology and brings it to the 2D Arena allowing Artists to animate in 3D Space any handdrawn pictures (whether scanned or sketched on Wacom Tablets and Electronic Paper), something like 2.5D. Sometimes, I imagine uganda telecom's delicious Mango mascot, branded in the early 2000s by my Favourite Newspaper Cartoonist Danny Barongo making a Comeback as a Blue Mango! It's all about you!

*Courtesy of Aiko (Ugatoons)

Welcome to Cartoonland 256, at the Heart of Africa!

"Ghost" by MAURICE KIRYA ft. RUYONGA Lyrics
Off his third studio Album (entitled Mwooyo), Maurice Kirya croons about a girl that came into his life and changed his Perception about how he has always chosen to love a Woman. He even starts thinking whatever is happening is not real, it's just an Illusion too good to be true; she is like an Invisible Girlfriend. The Animated Video of this Song creatively rigged by Yunus Sebyala's X-Toons Animations wonderfully illustrates this ageless Conflict. Mwooyo Kirya is truly soulful as usual.

[INTRO]
Ooh, ooh, ooh (Buno obuzimu bwa munno)
Ooh, ooh, ooh, er!

[VERSE ONE - MAURICE KIRYA]
How did you end up in my life?
How did you cast that spell?
Tell me who sent you, oom? Is it Heaven or is it Hell?
[HOOK]
I built a wall so high, a wall that you defied.
But this can't be, ooh!
I never fall this deep. No! No!

[CHORUS]
You're not real, you're a ghost!
This can't be, (Buno obuzimu bwa munno).
You're not real, you're a ghost!
It's an illusion, (Buno obuzimu bwa munno)!

[VERSE TWO]
Listen! How did you end up in my life?
How did you end up in my bed?
How did you get me so in love? No!
Coz without you I feel dead, whoa!
[HOOK]
I built a wall so high, a wall that you defied.
But this can't be, ooh!
I never fall this deep. No, and no, no!

[CHORUS]
You're not real, you're a ghost!
This can't be, (Buno obuzimu bwa munno).
You're not real, you're a ghost!
It's an illusion, (Buno obuzimu bwa munno)!

[RAP - RUYONGA]
(W???? Hiddn Empire! Yeah!)
Ru, it's like: I only see you when my eyes go, closed.
Got me wondering how you got so, close.
Till am on fire for your holy smokes.
To quit you, ama need the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, whoa!
Higher obsessed with me, you're so excessive!
Trying to own me, you're so possessive! But so depressing, ontulire!
Coz you know what you did, here wewandogere!
Creeping in through the mist, crawling through the dark.
Reaching out for my heart, persisting in your call like that whisper
in the wall.
Sliding inside of my bed, with every lie that you said.
I need you out of my head, coz...

[OUTRO]
You're not real, you're a ghost!
This can't be!
You're not reeeeal, (Buno obuzimu bwa munno)!
You're not real! (Buno obuzimu bwa munno),
(Get away from me [2X]), (Buno obuzimu bwa munno),
(Get away from me)!
END

"Power" by GNL ZAMBA Lyrics 
UG’s hip-hop messiah GNL bakes another poetic cake in 2012 and ices it with a fantastic animated music video presented by Dragonfly Media Studio 80z. It's also a Kino Musoke Picture. Shout outs to shinetz.blogspot.com! I couldn’t transcribe the muffled voice of the lady in the chorus that reminds me of the incredible three Singing Chipmunks but here is the rest of the flow (in black and white) from the Lord of Uga-Flow, not just Luga...

[CHORUS:]

[INTRO (GNL Speaking): ]
Power, you want to talk to me about power, right? 
It’s like am in a castle right now. 
And am overlooking Kampala’s bright lights, 
Everybody’s lined up. 
And my car is pulling through the streets, 
Everybody’s saying, “Koombaye!” 

[VERSE ONE:] 
I’m the Lord of the Ring. 
I’m not a slave, I’m a king. 
I float and I sting. 
It’s my rhymes to make your heart sing. 
Feel the pain or the sling or the joy that I bring. 
I was raised in the ghetto but now I shine and I bling. 
When you put your heart to the ceiling, it’s a G you are feeling. 
Hip-hop Uganda now looks up to me for healing. 
In the studio or the stage, I’m looking for the Shilling. 
Every dog has its day, it’s my time for the killing. 
Many try hard, but they can’t stop the G from winning. 
I’m the Best and, as long as the Art keeps spinning. 
I’m evolving and building, it’s not the end (Baboon Forest), it’s the beginning. 
I’m making love to the game, you can call it my Second Cum-ing! 
As a Newton of the game, I’m a magician with the flame. 
When you hate, it’s a shame. 
You’ve been late since I came. 
I’m a god, you’re a pilgrim. Pay your Homage! 
Let me live my dream, just let me get my cream!

[CHORUS:]

[VERSE TWO:]
(Zye, real talk, ah yeh!) 
I remember growing up, sweet dreams were a myth. 
So you know to unman, a nigga had to sweat like Keith. 
Through the cold, I was gritting my teeth with my sis, 
With no accommodation, broke, lying in the abyss (I remember that time). 
I’m the type of nigga radio used to diss, but now am in bliss because am a crown prince. 
Peace to my nigga Emron for the Genesis. 
Coz’ now we pack Greatness like Guinnesses. 
Baboon Forest, we the bubble geniuses, 
Show you how to turn dem poems into businesses. 
I’m not an artiste, am a legend. 
You’re a curtain-raiser, am the main event. 
Don’t you know, am Socrates when I think, am Gandhi when I speak, Chinua Achebe when I rhyme. 
Am a GOD-guided missile, it’s the heat that I seek. 
The Luga-flow Jet Li, it’s like a kung-fu flick, the way I kick.

[CHORUS:]

[VERSE THREE:]
(Zye X4) I did it my way [Aliri mawe], 
So I think I need some Berry-on and Rozelle (eh). 
Tonight, all my troubles seem so far away (yes). 
I’ve seen more drama than Broadway (I did, man). 
In the club, I need a needle in my record play (yes). 
Damn, can you let a nigga sway (What’s up Mckenzie?)! 
I refuse to lose like Mugabe in Zimbabwe (yes). 
Leka nkole ebyange, bakole ebyabwe (hahaha)! 

[OUTRO: ]
Rude bwai music! 
Dedicated to my first love: Hip-hop. 
Zye! And the fans, man. Yo fans, man. The fans. 
I did it my way [Aliri mawe], I think I need some Berry-on and Rozelle, eh... 

The Prophecy (series) is a Ugandan Sci Fi (Science fiction) fantasy web series produced by Acheonex based on the lives of the last living citizens of Uganda after an apocalypse was brought about by an ancient medallion. A genetic mutation occured among the last remaining human beings allowing them to exhibit superhuman strength and abilities. A great evil was awoken during the Apocalypse by the power of the medallion and it is up to the remaining Ugandans to fight for the human race. However, struggles among the survivors make it a battle for power and conquest... [Synopsis courtesy of Phizy Pwoch (Animator)]

AikoGraphics
Ugandan Cartoonists
As a Cartoonist myself using the Penname "Aiko" at Uganda Christian University's Community Newspaper The Standard (since 2007 to 2015 and again from 2019) and also the Labels AruaCartoons (since 2014) plus LugbaraToons (since 2019), I took a Timeout to compile a List of almost 100 Cartoonists whose Artwork I have noticed in Ugandan Media especially Newspapers but also Magazines, Web and TV in no particular Order nor Ranking. If there is anyone I have left out who merges Lines and Colours plus Words (or Sounds) to create a whole new World, then please remind me or add to your own List:

B. Danny Toons
NUMBER 1: B. Danny, aka Dan Barongo or simply DB or BD, is definitely my Favourite Ugandan Cartoonist of All-Time. I adore his Colouring and Realism. The War Comics he did for The New Vision in the 90s inspired me a lot: I was amazed that someone within my Country could actually draw Ugandan Events to such Detail and aesthetic Form. He was like a Mentor to me (I actually asked him for Advice in Industrial Area) and he later moved to Daily Monitor. I grew up thinking that good Cartoons and Illustrations only come from outside Countries, but seeing his solid illustrative Artwork in the Papers gave me a lot of Hope...

Mr. Ras, also known as Ras Manyanga (born Charles Onen from Kitgum) is a Veteran in the Business, considered by many as the Best Editorial Cartoonist in Uganda, roger that! His Cartoons usually had male Animals with erect Private Parts. Nevertheless, he is funny and has produced a very huge Body of Work, Ras Studios. He usually dresses smartly, reminds me of the Congolese who pull their Trousers very high above the Waistline. I replaced him for only one Month between 26th December 2010 and 16th January 2011 at Sunday Vision where I had started by writing Letters to the Editor during my Campus Internship Years (thanks to Advice from Samuel Apedel); it was a Dream come true after submitting my Portfolio to Ras in 2005. He advised me to use Ivory Paper and Combo Pens for Longevity instead of Foolscaps and Ballpoint Pens plus make my Cartoon Faces less detailed. Photo Editor Jimmy Adriko was also an Encouragement when I had a Tryout at New Vision coz I could yap Lugbara with him...

Tumusiime Rushedge, other Name Emmanuel - born in Buhweju County of Bushenyi District (on 1st March 1941, died 2008), was a Ugandan Surgeon, Pilot, Novelist, Cartoonist and Newspaper Columnist aka Tom Rush and Old Fox (of the famous Escapades). Some Campus Fellows nicknamed me "Kid Fox", maybe coz I drew Cartoons in my Notebooks. Everybody knows Old Fox's Creation (alongside Ateker Ejalu) named Ekanya which means "Cheeky One" in Ateso, first published in the early 70s and still running, his Wife Rosie plus Son Junior; this Cartoon Family fascinated me in the 90s, I hoped they were from Teso coz I love Bateso. He also created the Comic Strip Bogi Benda while in Kenya...

Tess Rushedge, a humorous Daughter who took over her Father's Ekanya Comic Strip at New Vision. She detests Politics in her Cartoons and prefers mainly Family Issues and Relationships in Homes...

James Rwehabura Tumusiime, Proprietor of Igongo Cultural Centre, Founder of Fountain Publishers in 1988, arguably the Largest Indigenous Book Publishing Company in UG - famous for School Textbooks and Children's Stories, took over the Ekanya Character after 1976 when Rushedge went into Exile in Kenya...

Tom, works for the Teso Newspaper Etop in Soroti and its Parent Publication New Vision in KLA too...

Dr. Stone, I thought he was a Whiteman like the Ugandanised British Writer named Kevin O'Connor, but he's Black like me and raps Luganda fluently, draws his exclusive Sports Toons quite fast. Sometimes, other Cartoonists like Mr. Ras fill his Spot...

Kato FM, his illustrative Cartooning seems like it is all done in Pencil (basically he draws Shades of Grey) but dark enough to be read clearly, he shades very realistic Faces...

JR, funny, Luni, Jokes hahehihohu; I do not know who exactly he is but he has some rib-cracking Lines, almost like Proverbs...

Snoggie FM, aka Senoga or Snoggie's World who moved to the US, been around for quite some Time, colourful. He used to draw the "Leo Kivumbi" Strip too...

Luganda Toons
Joey?, I think he does the Bukedde Newspaper Cartoons, interesting Stuff in Luganda...

Mozeh, Real Name Moses Balagade (died in 2016); my Mass Communication Dean of Faculty at UCU - Mr. Ben Bella Ilakut once advised me to draw thick Lines like him...

Ogon, aka Christoons replaced Mozeh at Daily Monitor as the Main Man and my or my, his Cartoons look crispy on Facebook, maybe because of the brighter Digital Surroundings unlike the somewhat light-khaki Hardcopy Newspaper, but still very well crafted Work. Atukwasize Chris Ogon won the Award for "Cartoonist of the Year" at the 2015 Uganda National Journalism Awards organised by the African Centre for Media Excellence (ACME). One interesting Thing I noticed in his Toons is the one Line Teeth Gap, simple but funny, seen! He also works for Ennyanda, another Subsidiary of Monitor Publications LTD. Ogon graduated in 2012 with an Illustration Major Bachelor's Degree in Industrial and Fine Arts from the Margaret Trowell School of Industrial and Fine Arts. He worked as an Illustrator at MK Publishers, Longman Publishers and Mango Tree Uganda. At The Kampala Sun, he was the Editorial Cartoonist pennamed Atuk...

Ivan also does some colourful Work for Daily Monitor... 

Spire Cartoons, by Dr. Jimmy Spire Sentongo, a very active Cartoonist who started at Weekly Observer in 2006, teaches Philosophy at Uganda Martyrs University and Makerere University. He studied Art until S4 Term 2 but felt he should use his Art Skills for Advocacy...

Jimelux TV Toons
Jimelux Tashobya, a UCU Mukono Fine Art Alumnus and NTV Minibuzz Cartoonist whose Drawing Process is filmed and then broadcast in Fast Motion. After failing to scoop the Minibuzz Position recommended to me by a Maisha Sound Alumnus Shantos Ssekito, I asked Jimelux to also replace me at The Standard. He used to draw Cartoons for other Publications on the Campus, so I felt he might have the Momentum to take over, but he also had Dreams of making Comics...

Stuart M., one of the Cartoonists who replaced me at the Standard between 2015 after I was let off and 2018 before I returned. He uses lots of Words but that is what I appreciate because many interesting Ideas can be compressed in one Panel. My Managers at New Vision used to tell me to let the Drawings deliver the Message with less (Letter) Words but Wordiness also adds creative Colour to a Cartoon and Stuart excels at that. Personally, I limit the Words by summarising but at the Back of my Mind, I fancy 100 Words in a Cartoon. Meanwhile, the Drawings can speak 1,000 Phonemes, no Problem... 

PK's Toonbook Sketches
PK Toons
Patricia Kelly Kobusingye, aka Pat Kelly (PK), known her since 2001 (Senior 5); I actually drew Illustrations for a Cash-winning Book she wrote in a National Book Trust Of Uganda (NABOTU) Competition. She's a whimsical Lady who reminds me of some Omo TV Commercial in the early 2010s; never made me angry, not even once. She was the Deputy Headgirl and we became Friends unconventionally when she confronted me in our HEL (History, Economics, Literature) Class one Morning because of my dirty, unwashed Shirt evidenced by my brown inner Sleeve End; I was surely at fault and she had the Power to send me back to wash my white Shirt or wear another one. Imagine a Prefect or Policewoman stopping you and instead of punishing you, she forgives and becomes your Good Friend, heehee! I adore her smooth Line Drawings made using a special Pen. I guess that is why her Cartoons look classier and different from mine which are drawn using common Ballpoint Pens. She is simply Art, Design and Prose. I wish TIME Magazine could profile her... 

Harriet Jamwa, is an Illustrator and Graphics Designer who works at Andrew Mwenda's Independent Newspaper printed in Magazine Format. I almost had a Tryout with M9's Newspaper and might have worked with Harriet along the Way if I stayed but did not pass the Vetting, was told to learn more from Illustrators like B. Danny...

Phillip Nsamba, illustrates The Adventures of Babi & Bobi...

Benjamin Buhamizo, illustrates some Stories featured in Toto Magazine, quite impressive Line Drawing and Colouring. Meanwhile Benji, does "Naughty Benji" Cartoons while a Cartoonist pennamed Benjie draws The Senile, a witty Comic Strip which old People would enjoy. Not sure if it's the same Person...

Hyena, some of my Friends in Bukoto (a KLA Suburb) used to call me Hyena coz they heard that I was a Cartoonist, but am not the one who draws those Red Pepper Cartoons. In fact, why would I sleep with so many Women like that in real Life? One Wife is quite enough; Multiple Partners at the same Time, Fornication plus Adultery are very complicated with STDs, Abortion or Bastards and Hellfire waiting on the other Side of the Mountain. I hope it is just Fiction, Fantasy or Wet Dreams...

Loukman Ali, very talented 3D Animator and Filmmaker with amazing Face-drawing Skills. First met him on Bob Marley's 2009 Birthday while we were both being debriefed by Mr. Ras; it was a very special Moment coz I was running away from a Job Disappointment somewhere else. Ali has produced TV Commercials plus Films such as "The Bad Mexican"...

Andrew Cara, a down-to-Earth CG Artist on the Hill; he also teaches. He was one Year behind me at Kalinabiri Primary School when I was in P7, but he could still remember my Drawing Skills more than a dozen Years later. I need to keep improving and he surely inspires with his Animation Projects...

Phizy Pwoch, another talented Animator who has worked on Music Videos too... 

David Masanso, Founder of Crossroads Animations in 2012 is an Animation Icon in UG with unflinching Zeal, actually started an annual Cartoon Festival and teaches interested Learners at his Central Business District Studios near Watoto Church (former KPC) just like Artfield Institute in Naguru. He was the First Black to study Computer Animation at the University of Swansea. "Imitate", his 4-Minute Animation about a Hat Seller, won an unprecedented Award at the 2009 Amakula Kampala International Film Festival... 

Yunus Sebyala like I mentioned earlier, does Cartoon Animations...

Animation Progress on "The Adventures of Nkoza and Nankya (TV Series)" by Solomon Jagwe
Solomon Jagwe, based in the USA, is an Animator known for Galiwango the Gorilla plus "Nkoza and Nankya" TV Series...

Richard Musinguzi is considered Uganda's Walt Disney, at least according to BBC. He created Katoto, a Rukiga-speaking Ugandan Original alongside Humphrey Agaba, Janet and the beautiful Thandi Abasa on his Team. They want Katoto to speak other Ugandan Languages also, hopefully Lugbarati too. Before Crane Bank closed, it had a TV Commercial where Katoto asked his Cow to give him 100 UgX so that he could keep it in a Savings Account, still vivid in my Memory...

John Paul Gremlin Musoke at Cartoon Leaf Channel also has some fine Portraiture Talent...

Kwiz Era, Illustrator and Expressionist Artist. His Studio is set up within Iguana Bar, Kisementi on Sturrock Road, behind Gapco Petrol Station...

Samuel Mukasa Kabali, founder of Tonda Animation is also an Inspiration...

Eugenius, this List would have been incomplete without me mentioning some Arua Artists I have come across. Eugene was among the first Artists to catch my Attention in A-Town while he painted a Mural for Mvara Core PTC next to Mvara Mission on Emmanuel Cathedral Road. He studied Art at UCU Mukono and has great Talent, truly a King Genius...

Ringo Andrua (Fly Graphix, Arua), first noticed his Portfolio via facebook but still impressive...

Pius Hoo, another Arua Artist with nice Mural Art... 

Isaac Mugabi (Skyman) is a 3D character animator, mobile app developer, programmer, digital artist plus gamer who co-founded Pomp Motion Studios in Kampala. He graduated from Makerere University with a Bachelor's Degree in Art & Design plus earned a Certificate in Character Animation from Digital Tutors...

Arua Cartoons (since 2014)
SPECIAL MENTIONS: Romero, Spanish Cartoonist who drew Modesty Blaise Comics, inspired the Word-Balloon Fonts I use in my Cartoons, just added a few Changes. I used to teach myself how to draw Humans seemlessly by studying his exquisite Artwork during my Senior 6 Vacation...

Falk, DePaul and Ryan (sometimes DePaul + Manley), create Phantom Cartoons from Australia relayed to Uganda through King Features Syndicate. I have been reading about this masked, generational Hero since the 90s...

Mort Walker, creator of Beetle Bailey...

Sara, a UNICEF Cartoon conceived in ten different Countries. It took 20 months of research and development work involving 150 artists, writers and researchers from Eritrea and Ethiopia in the north to South Africa in the south (ie Malawi, Zimbabwe and the three main East African Countries). Sara used to appear in Straight Talk and Young Talk Newspapers. I loved the clean Line Drawing and Colouring. There was also a TV Animated Series with her Pet Monkey Zingo. The Sara Character is Proof that Cartoons can be used for Community Transformation...

Gayo Toons
James Gayo, his wordless Kingo Comic Strip is very hilarious; a Friend of mine wanted to turn it into a TV Animation...

Gado, famous Kenyan Newspaper Editorial Cartoonist across East Africa. Godfrey Mwapembwa spent 23 Years at The East African Newspaper before being fired for contestable Reasons including caricaturing the then Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete half nude in a languid Pose. JK was nibbling on Grapes from the Hand of one of seven Beauties who represented the 7 Sins that the Tanzanian Government had been accused of...

Frank Odoi, born in western Ghana in 1948 among seven Sisters, draws The Joker. In the late 1970s, he moved to Kenya to contribute to Terry Hirst's illustrated Humour Magazine Joe. He later inherited Terry's Position at Daily Nation Newspaper. He also helped develop and launch the XYZ Show, a satirical Puppet Show on TV. He died in a Matatu Ditch Accident on 21st April 2012...

Spiderman syndicated Cartoons from America...

Walt Disney, I think he should take Credit for the Mickey Mouse and Goofy syndicated Toons coz well, he invented them and they never died after his own Death in 1966, lived on into the new Millenium...

Zapiro Toons
Zapiro, weird how I do not know any South African Cartoonists, it's almost like Apartheid of the Brain, maybe because they colonised our Minds in UG via the Audio-visual Box (Multichoice, KTV [Kids Television], BOP TV and TV Africa) but not Print Media. Nevertheless, the Best I know (Jonathan Shapiro) makes up for all my Ignorance and I only learnt of him through a Video and the Internet. He's probably the Finest on the African Continent. Kudos to all the rest I do not know...

There is also a Cartoonist for The Rwandan Amakuru with nice facial Illustrations...

Aiko Toons 2019 (Cropped and finally resized in Microsoft Windows Paint but Colours filled using GIMP 2.10 Software)
(E)XTRA TIME/ OVERTIME: Animation is a burgeoning Industry in Uganda, and Animators especially 2D Animation Drawers are just Tradigital or Motion Cartoonists eg Blue Monkey, Creatures Animation (Makers of "A Kalabanda Ate My Homework"), LabRat Animations (who made the Music Video for "Wakayima" by COOPY BLY), etc. They automatically fit in the Uganda Cartoon Network; Book Illustrators do too, it's all about Cartooning Associates like a Cartoon Movement or Toon Nation. Cartooning resembles Writing and Comedy especially Standup; if you attack Individuals brutally, they may as well retaliate, but if you find a middle Ground that can tickle their Ribs, good for you. When Rema dumped Eddy Kenzo for Doctor Hamza, I wanted to draw a Cartoon of Namakula asking the "Sitya Lossi" Superstar - clad in a T-shirt emblazoned on "Mango" at the front - if they could play a Game of Adam and Eve; he would reply: "I don't think so, a little Bird told me you will give the forbidden Fruit to a Doctor", but held back because it was a very Heart-wrecking Situation for someone whose Music I admired, not certain that Joke would be tasty. Of course there are many other Scenarios to explore, but at a Y-Corner (Junction), you either go left or go right! I hope GOD grants Happyness to all the three. In 2001, Ugandan Cartoonists formed an Association called Satire Gang consisting of all Editorial and Humour Cartoonists in Uganda. It was formally affiliated to the international Cartoonist Rights Network that protects Cartoonists since they are not considered Journalists. Dr. Robert Russell, the Director was present at the Inauguration hosted by Uganda Museum. Freedom of Expression must not be abused, Self-Censorship is vital. Every Year on 5th May, four Days or half a Week after Labour Day (May Day), the World celebrates Cartoonist's Day. Then on 28th October, five Months later, the Earth marks International Animation Day set up in 2002 by the International Animated Film Association or ASIFA (abbreviated from its French Name: ASsociation Internationale du Film d’Animation). Maybe that Way, I will also get to know Who is Who? in UG. I cannot exhaust this List; I've done what I could based on my Limits of Knowledge but will keep updating it until I bypass 100 Cartoonists, if GOD wills. In Twenty20 during the Covid-19 lockdown, I had an epiphany that literally renewed my interest in making cartoons; I coined the word Ugatoons to describe the feeling...