Wednesday

The Best Dancer

oneway Channel 39 presents a tall story entitled “The Best Dancer at the MTN Media Bash” (Monday 11th December 2006):
[Some guy took us to the Most Organised and Busiest Street in the city. Then we entered a building that looked great. At the top floor, we reached an auditorium. Then we walked down steps and reached a field. Dancers were already present. James Nkuubi (who graduated from LDC - Law Development Centre around April 2008) was there, Joel Okuyo (Actor who featured in Battle of the Souls) was there. In fact, he tied his black shirt around his waist and danced bare – chested to a ladies tune, probably to impress the fairer sex. The dances began and everyone was expected to find a partner to dance with. The field filled up in an incredible format. Before I knew it, the modest but skillfully conversational Brenda touched my shoulder and I turned around starting to dance with her. I even fell on top of her and felt the warmth of intimacy, flesh to flesh. We got up and danced like possessed bodies. Then we moved aside and conversed. Yata told me she had a guy in her life; I jumped in the air because I was happy for her. I told her that one time I saw her on the road from State House to KPC but did not say a word because she was with someone. I did not want to interrupt their conversation. It might have been her boyfriend and he would not quickly understand our history as simply old students at Makerere College School 2001 – 2, four years ago. The award ceremony arrived and probably five dancers were rewarded. The first winners (a Couple) got 50 pounds. The second got around 30; then 20 pounds. There was one winner from Brazil. The announcer said since England had been in the past dealings, they chose another nation. So the Spiderman fanatic was taken. When it came to the part of the best dancer, I saw a computer file with the words ‘utl’ and ‘Vantage Communications’ which I recognized immediately. I sensed that this could be me because I always tried to apply to places like that for a job after university (My final exam was on 22 April 2006). So I got my green shorts and prepared to go forward. When the reader mis-spelt my name as ‘AIOUKOUBOUR’, people were undecided about who it was until he wrote the first one ‘Edward’ and most people looked at me. I was given a small white receipt as a gift…]