Monday

'oneway' to Heaven

ME AND MY GOD (Published in Issue 3 of The Standard Newspaper)

Am I holy or satanic? Whenever I don’t get what I pray for, I doubt God’s generosity and sometimes blaspheme him because of ‘frustration temptation’. There is a Whiteman’s saying that “gods only exist when mortal men choose to believe in them. “ That is true for small gods but I do not put my faith in them. They are just wicked spirits which make up a third of all the celestial beings.
In stead, I choose to believe in the one true God and his holy angels, immortalized in Scriptures and made known to us by the Holy Spirit. No atheist can convince me that God is a myth. Miracles never occur by chance. Does Mother Nature really program her cycles? Who answers prayers, saves us from death and rewards tithes? It surely must be the hidden power Christians call GOD. I prefer writing his name in all caps on all my documents to show that he is the Greatest Power in the universe.
I grew up in a church-frequenting Anglican family that introduced me to religion, but my devotion was just mechanical. I attended church on Sundays simply because I had to. Nevertheless, every soul needs spiritual intelligence to outwit the soul-devouring Prince of Darkness, and the veil covering my eyes started to be lifted around 1997. After watching several sermons and movies on the newly established Lighthouse Television, I realized how rotten I was inside and badly needed spiritual resurrection.
That’s when God grabbed my attention through Carman, a demon-slaying musician and film actor simply because I fancied his hot music and action movies; I accepted Christ into my heart through one of Carman’s songs entitled “Serve The Lord” (1993 Absolute Best Album). Unfortunately, my spiritual journey mutated into ‘pretended holiness’. It was mind-bending for me to figure out how to keep it real. Then one Sunday, a born again brotherhood fasted the whole day, prayed and received a vision about my hypocrisy. A few nights later, they cast out a dragon-like ancestral spirit that was influencing my character as seen in the revelation. What I learnt from this exorcism on Friday 7th July 2000 is that even committed Christians who choose to love and serve the Lord can still be influenced by demons. Nevertheless, the Holy Spirit helps us discern good from evil.
Sin is sweet, but it kills. If you have a problem, just look up to the sky... No matter what you have done, said, written or thought, I know there is only one-way to heaven. His name is Jesus.




Edward Aikobua is a Cartoonist for The Standard and 2006 UCU Mass Communication graduate
Email: edwardaikobua@yahoo.com … 0712 356257