Thursday

The Best of 2003 – 6

(This is my Top 10 Countdown of the Best of the Class of 2003 – 6 at Uganda Christian University)
10. PHAT FARM OR FAT FAMILY: No disrespect here but you must admit that the Most Obese Students in the Class of 2003 – 6 Mass Communication Department were Oketta, Kimani, Ian and Diana. I call them the Obestic 4, a fantastic family...
9. THE 9 WONDERS OF THE CURRENT WORLD: Daphne, welcome to the 9 Wonders, girls you must meet before you graduate. ‘A’ is for Alice. She was the First Campus Girl I fell in love with even when I did not ask for such feelings. This list is not about crushes but classmates who are the frontrunners for the rest on campus. ‘B’ is for Brenda. All the Brendas I’ve met in the past tickled my fancy and this one is no exception. ‘C’ is for Rachel & Rachel, the Dolce & Gabbana of Mass Comm 3. If they were fashion designers like Owori, I would recommend their Collections to my girlfriend, sisters, aunties, mother and neighbours. ‘D’ is for Diana and Diane, the first is already a mother but adorable just like before the rings and cakes while the latter is well composed and trendy. ‘E’ is for Emily at the centre of the list. Actually she should have come first but forget the listing. Arguably a braveheart, she’s like a gangster with her own strong will. ‘F’ is for Four-eyed Maureen, very neat and struts a headstrong modern image I admire. ‘H’ is for Her Beautifulness Olive, Miss Arua; The Best Girl around the Boys. ‘I’ is for Information and Publicity minister Martha. Information is power so she makes it to the list of Powerpuff Girls. Did I forget the letter ‘G’? Last but also special is Juliet, my only A' Level O.G (Old Girl) in Mass Comm 3. The other is in LLB 3. We’ve been classmates since 2001 and the first (Literature) lesson in which she read from a storybook convinced me that she was a talent in public speaking. All the others like Chimpaye (Spiderwoman), glorious Vero, Esther, (pretty) Barbra, etc are in these 9 categories...
8. THE PLAYERS: Ladies, the way to a man’s heart is not food but sports. Trust me. Everybody had a sport they indulged in but here are the notable performers. 32, Tony and Wanza showed talent in Basketball. Sammy and Lawrence wanted to win the F.A. Cup and trained very well while Akankwatsa must have bruised his fingers on the volleyball pitch...
7. MUSIC IS THE SOURCE OF LIFE: Shakespeare also did Mass Comm but he did not know Brian “Windman” Semujju, Sharpe Sounds from Nimusiima Sharpe Cole, Lois the Diva-voiced Ugandan (We need her voice), Edward Bindhe who is hooked to Sanyu FM (Today’s Best Music); Production houses like (Maloba Sammy’s) MS Records, (Kimani’s) Detailed Entertainment and Dynasty Records (DTP - Disturbing tha Peace), plus Aiko’s oneway. Praise FM (broadcast on Spirit FM), Kiss 100, EATV & Radio plus MTV (Base) did it for me
6. THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE: Jesus turned water into wine, an alcohol. So is alcohol brewed for merry making, how about the biblical warning that drunkards go to hell? Cheer up if your course work results were heartbreaking! Even Aiko drinks but not many know; I just remain sober. LORD have mercy: Brens realized he was taking in too many bottles and planned to quit. Lawrence was a master. Dreza probably had a diploma in the good stuff. Seg’y is a survivor; two of his friends died because of booze while the other got locked up to stop him from touching the coveted trophy. Oh Kim, that is Ugandan’ keroro’!
5. LEADERS: The Bible says that the prosperity of a town is determined by the intelligence of its leading men. Within three years, Vice Chancellor Steven Noll and his co-administrators have transformed UCU from a small university into the first chartered private university in Uganda and one of the Most Recognised all over Africa. UCU is still growing and Mass Comm 3 was privileged to have some of its members in the 2005 – 6 Guild Cabinet most notably Amoru, Paul - the First Guild President outside the Law faculty for quite some time [I drew a manilla poster for his campaign], Chemutai, (Pastor) Gerald, Akello Ruth, Juliana, Waigolo [“Why go low? when we can go high with Waigolo” was a slogan I created during the campaigns] and Isingoma (Tom Boy)
4. BEN BELLA: He was funny back then in first semester and he still is. It is a GOD-sent talent that even my own father acknowledges. You know, my father studied with Ben Bella Ilakut and told me some spooky stuff about UCU’s Most Humorous Lecturer. Isaiah Mbuga spent only one semester but was loved probably because he also used to be seen on TV. His Mass Comm Fellowships felt Spirit-filled. Mr. Apedel was debonair, wow, those suits you could think we are in for a business conference. OT, NT, Worldviews and Ethics tutorials sometimes kicked me because students shared funny ideas from their backgrounds with Mr. Kabaseke. Health tutorials got better later...
3. WISE CRACKS, PUNS AND JOKES: If lecturers could amuse us, then how about fellow students? Ian and Charlie formed a good partnership, Ochieng loved wacky statements, and John Mary Semakula may start his own universal joke club. Seg’y was a storyteller. Kim also fell in a similar category; probably the beers made him a folk artist, Sharpe was a clown. Obonyo, though he rarely sits with me has some rather mature rib-crackers. Tony as they say has flowery words. Kyazze, 32 and Brens also threw in their act. As for me, I just listened and laughed. Roger, Elly, Pauline and Dreza featured too. Sammy came in handy; if you ever buy a good car, make sure Collins rides in it at least once, ha ha!
2. SCHOLARSHIP: I missed government sponsorship at Makerere University and took the application forms for scholarship at UCU very seriously. I was being lugubrious like a true Lugbara. Many nights I burnt the midnight oil, and broke my back drawing Tony’s comments that I was a ‘book worm’ and ‘silent burner’. Man, I was burning for a scholarship and I got it thanks to GOD. I could have settled for basketball and soccer but now I’m near the top and having a blast. Still struggling for First Class though...
1. 3D ENTERTAINMENT: The Best Things in Life are not (just) free but pimped. 3D Graphics, Telecommunication, DVD Movies, CDs, Magazines, Internet Surfing, Computer games, DStv, Parties, Night Outs, Town Tours, Google, Intravenas and Travels. It’s the end of a long road...

[Article by Aiko at the start of my Final Semester at UCU (January 2006) before Graduation]