Monday

Tina Davis’ Workshop (& the Last ‘Queen’ of Scotland)

I love pleasant surprises. Sometime in April 2008, I saw a banner advertising iVad Productions outside the National Theatre’s Green Room. I had always fancied their film productions so I walked in. Curiosity killed the cat (but revived the dog). I’m not a cat, for heaven’s sake, so as a good dog I got the bone I deserved. The Uganda Arts and Media Academy (UAMA) were organizing a Documentary Workshop during the Europe-Uganda fortnight to develop skills among Ugandan or East African filmmakers. Present were various dudes and some Swahili-mumbling babes like Zippy the first I uttered a word to [who probably came from the Coast of East Africa]. At the start of the workshop, Sade, a Nigerian who works for iVAD alongside the big Caroline Kamya (Everybody loves Carol) taught the gathered pack a discipline game whereby the members of the circle would throw balls at another person straight in front of them while mentioning the name of the recipient and looking into their eyes. After the introductions, everybody was expected to remember several names for a target pitch in order not to look a bum. Luckily for me, I could remember Sara, diagonally on my right. We had been told not to throw on the side but I had no other option. She even asked me later during the tea break if I am related to the famous Akii Bua. Does that mean I have to change the Aiko? No way or let me say Norway where Tina comes from (Pun intended)! Tina was the main speaker at the workshop. I wonder whether this ball-throwing game has some kind of social magic in it because the person whose name you call somehow becomes more interested in you most especially when you have never met before. I told Sara ‘No’ about my relationship to the Olympic Star but added to her fulfilled amazement that Ceasar Okhuti, the Uganda Cranes footballer is my brother…We are both Lugbara so that makes him my brother-by-tribe. See, Kiwani with truth in it…!
[Anyway, the truth is that the one Ugandan Sports personality I’m related to, without a doubt, is neither David nor Denis Obua but former Cranes Coach Leo Adraa. My dad is his uncle because he got married to ‘Dede’, my dad’s niece, also Tom W.’s sister. My dad even used to work with Tom at Nile Bank, my personal bank, in the 90s before leaving at the turn of the new millennium and star Leo Adraa is the only link I’m sure about]
Earlier I had mentioned my name and introduced myself as a cartoonist and writer who wanted to develop a few skills in documentary making so as to make a film about my ancestral culture which did not feature much in the mainstream media. Thinking that no one would probably remember my name, I was stunned when Peggy dressed in gorgeous hip-hugging blue jeans threw the ball at me and beautifully called out “Edward”. I concentrated and later tried to converse with her by asking if Dan Brown was her Favourite Author (She was holding the ‘Angels and Demons’ novel) and she replied that she reads anyone. So I suggested she read my blogsite. I shared the Norwegian Chocolate (Tina brought for different random pairs) and later honored her request by picking a mineral water bottle for her from the table behind. She probably felt I was itching to impress her; just maybe. Nevertheless overall, she was not the best person I could shoot a breeze with because she showed a glimpse of a certain attitude I do not fancy in human beings (I won’t mention it or else I will be arrested by the police in the spiritual realm). Anyway, after Tina Davis the Norwegian speaker at the workshop, Barbra came top among my conversation interests. She introduced herself as the girl who played the role of a prostitute or whore (She ain’t a bitch, haters) in the Oscar-Award winning movie “The Last King of Scotland”. She was to me the Last ‘Queen’ of Scotland. It’s not that I got attracted to her face or anything (Of course she looked a’ight), but I liked the composed and suave way she approached me in her green blouse and khaki pants while I prepared to serve myself some milk tea, gonja, sumbusa and sausage. We shook hands that stayed locked for a few minutes and talked about ourselves, movies and things like that. She had enchanted me somehow, probably skills she was taught in the build up to her role in the Hollywood movie. We went for breakfast together and later talked during lunch before I disappeared when a male friend of hers showed up. I didn’t return for the final afternoon session that featured Tina’s second production but watched other movies in the auditorium (organized by the Uganda German Cultural Society who had alerted me about the multi-cultural festival in an email. I had missed their morning workshop but no regrets whatsoever)
“Bringing Excellence to creativity” – iVAD Motto
Tina Davis, from Norway is hugely talented. Where she comes from, “the land of the Midnight Sun only gets dark for ten minutes in Tromso, Norway”…I’m glad that I once studied in a Norwegian founded school (Kalinabiri Primary School, Ntinda 1995-6 and was in the pink-red Norwegian House). Tina took Media Education in London and graduated in 1996, the same year I did my PLE (Primary Leaving Examinations) at Kalinabiri [Luganda for “He who has two eyes must see beyond”]. She has been working on documentaries and taught a little bit in a Cuban Film School.
Basic theory: the Definition of a Documentary has stretched with time. Central spirit is exploration of actual people and situations. Actors can be used to recreate past and present events. It is Created Treatment of Actuality: Travel, Nature, Science, Industrial, Educational, Promotional e.g. a docu’ in a Soap-Making industry. Socially Critical, uncovers dimensions. It goes more into moral and ethical dimensions. Go into a familiar place to reveal the unfamiliar…Tell stories about anything but take it and tell what’s not known. Look at it from different angles e.g. boda boda cyclists being harassed by women. Prostitutes exchange sex for free rides. Corner of reality seen through human temperament, convictions, conscience and ideology guide you. Persuade viewers into your world. It’s an organized story, narrative tension and integrated point of view”.
[“Artists write; it is the function of all art to give us perception of an order in life by imposing an order on it.” –T.S. Eliot]
Order gives us a perception of life. Controlled, Obstentious, Speechless, Lyrical [no limits to possibilities], profound fascination/ Passion and General Interest
Actuality [Objective, measurable and can be agreed] vs. Realism
TV networks want docu’s about what is seen and proved, afraid of lawsuits/ corporate journalism
Takes you beyond objective notions… Try to present the inner lives of those we film, internal dimensions-dreams, nightmares part of actuality. If you are a writer, sometimes you include yourself. Factual TV balances out opposing views. Unbiasesd views on events, journalism. “I showed all three sides so I’m not responsible for social criticism.”
Subjectivity shows effective use. Art for representation of your subject
Realism is the way you bring actuality to another level. Motivation for producing a docu-drama will impact the people e.g. a docu-drama of the horrible Hiroshima event (bombing). Makes it powerful…Do you shoot a documentary and leave room for viewers to interpret? Sometimes people do not need spoon feeding, you can have sub themes.
Six Basic points during Tina’s Workshop
1. Instinct/ Attraction (Greatest Personal Tool. Unfortunately we sometimes make our Intellect come in the way. Face the opinions, Trust your instincts, Instinct guides you through the process)
2. Aim of the documentary (Why do you want to make this film?) Write; record your thoughts and ideas. Push yourself to be able to achieve the aim…
3. Structure the story (Shooting Script, How you organize your material. If you sit down and create awareness within you, it moves you closer to the core of your film…makes it clear to you. Director’s Notes, Synopsis for the funders…Make choices. Home Videos and Professionals are different
4. Style (Observational)
5. Techniques can be still photos, private material, Montash, Goes hand in hand with style. You can use imagery
6. Character (Identify a strong character as a subject to tell a story; reveal info about your interest). Must be sb who is not an exhibitionist (A show off becomes annoying in the process). Someone who wants to be portrayed…Build trust and get to know your subjects
Fall in love with your character, Connect your audience to your characters. Superficial truths separate us but fundamentals or universal elements can be reflected by others. The better you know a person, the deeper you can portray her Quirks. The more you know about your character, the better access…to all the secrets. We had breakfast and then watched Tina’s documentary.
“BIGGER Than Barbie”
A documentary about a project for women in RSA (Republic of South Africa) where they make beaded dolls. Tina Davis was in Norway visiting a friend when she got mesmerized by colourful quirky dolls. Three months later, Tina saw these dolls in a London shop. She got a number of dolls and went to teach in Cuba. Tina was called back to pay because her credit card didn’t go through. The shop owner told her the story of the dolls: It was an Empowerment Project for women started by 3 artists to create income…The film shows different stories in Africa.
“Make films for educating the TV networks here…I like the choice of music, a Reggae classic by Bob Marley ‘Waste of Time’; it highlights the fundamental truth that the world or life is a beautiful struggle…,”said Tina (This is exactly what I have been trying to preach through my ‘Arua Boys’ stories)
“Live with your heart & appreciation,” this line was spoken at the Monkeybiz HIV Clinic. Mankozi was an invaluable member of the bead community and went to New York where their dolls were selling well at the ABC Store.
Film REVIEW (from the lecture by Tina Davis)
1. Impressed by the community; Humbled/ Learnt the township philosophy in action: Create work that suits the delights of the women not take them to a factory. They should work whenever they want and could. Tina wanted to make an inspiring story for people to follow their dreams
2. The Aim was to make a positive documentary: “Wherever there are people, there is hope. Everybody has potential. Sometimes you need help but it is a matter of getting that potential out…” –Tina
3. This film happened as a result of so many uncontrollable elements…Fragmented funding system (Government body gives a sum, One Big Lesson: “I will never again start until I have a film about a subject on the other side of the world. 90 hours of footage, 4 months…It’s difficult to convey your vision to the subjects in the documentary who may get tired because it may not mean much…”I Could have made many stories from this film…Could have told the story through Mankozi, the lady in Monkeybiz who had HIV…” The film is a portrait of Monkeybiz and all their aspects. If you choose a closed off environment, you do yourself a big favour. If you are not flexible, you will feel your plans are going down the drain…
4. Wanted to make an observational film but because of the language and camera pointing at other places, it was heart-wreaking for Tina. Wanted the subject to come out through the scenes and not Voice Overs. Make sure you have intos to back up your story even if you never intend to use them. Writing edits are very important, rather than polishing each scene before you move to the next
5. Using the reportage at the start from ABC TV was not my plan. A news-crew turned up to do the story. The doll shots were also a technique. Wanted to use animation to show that the dolls are moving or expanding. This would highlight the essence of Monkeybiz. It was meant to be playful and hearty, an interesting touch…A couple of montage sequences in the film (a lot of women making those dolls in their homes). The music too! It creates moods and atmosphere. Finding a rhythm is important. People should not be hang up by the information that is less… [Spent one year getting a license for the soundtrack from Damian Marley… “Make sure you have contracts when dealing with music…Another thing I had to license is the concert and Live Mandela feed…”
6. You can organize but not stage a documentary. “I like to work more spontaneously; that’s more interesting…” Tina revealed…